Bro Ffestiniog RFC | 1st Team 32 - 28 Colwyn Bay RFC | 1st Team
Try 1
Ian Aspden
Try 2
Ian Roberts
Conversion 1
Dewi James
Try 1
Matthew Williams
Conversion 1
Penalty 1
Try 1

Match Report
18 September 2016 / Team News

Bro claim a late victory

Bro Ffestiniog showed great character winning this enthralling rugby match on a glorious day at Cae Dolawel as visitors Colwyn Bay had led throughout until the 78th minute when Bro's captain Dewi James crossed for the winning try & Bro claiming another bonus point win.
The first try came on six minutes when fly half Pat Atkinson chipped over Bro's defence and a foot race between Bro's Dewi Atherton and Bay's Steven Belcher was won by the latter - Atkinson also adding the conversion.
Bro were then awarded a penalty but fly half Mathew Hayden failed to convert from 30m.
A quick lineout taken by the visitors caught Bro napping and Atkinson scythed his way over the whitewash through some poor tackling for a try which went unconverted.
Bro went close from a quick tap penalty and lock Terry Lay was through but for a forward pass.
Bro missed another penalty as Hayden pulled his kick wide, Atkinson on the other hand converted a 42m penalty after the hosts were penalised for offside.
A poor clearance kick from the sea siders was gathered by Bro's Marc Morris, the flanker combining well with his back row team mate Huw Parry who put centre Lee Aspden through to claim and unconverted try.
On twenty minutes Atkinson put flanker Lloyd Jones through the tightest of gaps and would have scored but for a try saving tackle from Bro winger Dylan Jones. A ruck was formed and Bro were penalised. Atkinson's penalty effort hit the post and Bro cleared. 
Ffestiniog were then penalised for offside and this time Atkinson extended his side's lead from 25m.
It was all Bro for the final ten minutes of the half - firstly they went close through a catch and drive from a lineout then Bro won turnover ball through scrum half Gethin Jones - Morris and Aspden linking up once more and the inside centre claiming his second. Hayden's conversion was charged down by the visitors as the sides went into the break with the score at 10 - 18.
Soon after the re start Colwyn Bay hooker Dan Lycett was gifted with a gaping hole in the opposition defence and raced up field before offloading to John Astbury - the number eight foiled by a try saving tackle from Bro full back Dan P.
Atkinson then extended his side's lead with another successful penalty kick from 30m.
Then started the Bro comeback, Dan P went close but a forced pass to Huw Parry went forward. Bro soon won a scrum 5 against the head and number 8 James gathered the hosts went though 3 phases before sending the ball out through Hayden who received an inside pass from Aspden to crash over for a try which he also converted.
Bay went close from a quick tap penalty by Callum Morris but Bro won turnover ball and cleared.
Twenty five minutes into the second period a Hayden penalty from 23m closed the gap to one point as the vocal home crowd urged their team on.
By now Bro were dominating and with only ten minutes left there were some tired bodies in the visitors team. Bro gained a penalty for holding on and kicked for touch, from the ensuing lineout a catch and drive went close but Bay defended well and forced Bro into spreading the ball out wide. A dropped pass was pounced on by Atkinson who's clearance kick put Bro on the back foot and the fly half won the race to the ball before passing to left wing Sergio Cabezwalo who crossed over between the posts and made Atkinson's successful conversion even easier.
From the re start Bay's John Astbury was penalised for a spear tackle - referee Richard Rees-Davies adjudged it a dangerous tackle and red carded the number 8.
Hayden exploited the scattered defence with a deft chip over, the awkward bounce fooling two or three players but bounced kindly for Bro's centre Dewi Atherton who was tackled 2m from the try line. Bro recycled well through prop Dylan Jones and three phases later hooker Tom James crashed over for an unconverted try bringing the hosts to within 3 points.
The momentum had once more shifted and with uncontested scrums for the final few minutes the inevitable happened. Bro won a scrum inside Bay's 10m the forwards led by James rucked and mauled their way through the phases culminating in captain Dewi James crashing over in the corner much to the delight of the home crowd but despair to the visitors. Wing Ian Roberts superb conversion from out wide added the extra points.
The visitors were not finished though and pressurised deep into Bro's 25. The final play was another attack from Bay but Bro won turnover ball and kicked the ball into touch. As the referee blew for full time there were jubilant scenes from the Bro players, coaching team, officials and supporters.
This was an outstanding game of rugby credit to both sides. There were notable displays as usual from both sets of back rows - prop Dylan Jones shone for the home side but it was Colwyn Bay's Atkinson who deservedly won man of the match. The fly half bossed the game from the start, his place kicking and creativity was second to none, he also scored one try created the other two.
It will be tough tests for both clubs next as Colwyn Bay entertain league leaders Pwllheli Bro travel to second place Bala

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos